SINGLE DAY 4WD SELF DRIVE
DESCRIPTION | 1 DAY ADVENTURE
A full day exploring the stunning Skippers Canyon with full commentary and interpretation at each stop. From Coronet Peak to the mighty Shotover River, we journey along the infamous 1889 road following the trail of the 1860s gold rush.
This expedition is available in either:
- full tag along option, where you drive your own vehicle in convoy with us including radio communication.
- full or half day guided tour, where we drive and you enjoy the magnificent scenery
SELF DRIVE ITINERARY
At 8am we will meet at the Skippers Canyon turn off up Coronet Peak Road for a compulsory safety briefing, radio distribution and the plan for the day.
Following this, we begin our adventure by cresting Skippers Saddle to get our first views of Mt Aurum, the Skippers Road and a view of the high country terrain which we will drive through.
Highlights of the day include:
- Hells and Heavens Gates
- Lighthouse Rock
- Historic gold mining relics
- Shotover River
- Major Lord of the Rings locations
- Engineering marvel Pinchers Bluff
- Traversing Skippers Bridge (1901)
- Skippers School (1889)
- Skippers Cemetery
- Optional Jetboat tour
- and much more..
- $895 single vehicle - private tour
- $POA - 2 or more vehicles
- Fully guided day
- Hand held radio use
- Morning tea
- 15% NZ Goods and Service Tax
We offer discounts off the standard price with the following.
- Booking 2 or more vehicles
- Multi day bookings
SELF DRIVE REQUIREMENTS
- Vehicle insurance suitable for this tour.
- All terrain tyres preferred with minimum 60% tread.
- Road tyres can be used on dry days but will need to be deflated to a lower pressure if necessary.
- Hi/low ratio.
- A full list of vehicle requirements is on our booking form. Contact us for details.
- This tour is suitable for people with beginner off-road driving experience, however the tour operates on backcountry tracks and DOC land. As per most backcountry routes this tour has narrow tracks, and tracks at height. Drivers need to be confident driving on back country roads.
- Due to hazard identification over hand held radios, English must be your first language.
- Skippers Canyon is a public road. Private and rental vehicle insurance policies must be checked to make sure they include Skippers Canyon. We can direct you to rental companies in Queenstown that allow their vehicles in Skippers.
- During summer the road does not require 4WD vehicles, but further up the canyon there are small creeks to cross and areas that require vehicles with suitable ground clearance. Please contact us to check vehicle suitability.
SELF DRIVE BOOKING
Three steps for booking
- Email us at email@example.com
- We will send you a link to the booking forms. Please read, sign and return. We can collect these on tour day.
- Online link - visa, mastercard, eftpos
- Direct bank transfer
- On the day, visa, mastercard, eftpos or cash
Full day tours depart 8:00 am
Different start times can be arranged if necessary. Pick-ups at local accommodation by prior arrangement.
return to single day self drive menu